Friday, August 26, 2011

A "right proper" update

Hello Friends!

So, I am settling into my new flat in Manchester. It is very spacious and in a very nice area of town. I feel blessed to have a bed that doesn't feel like it's made of wood and my own room to be still, sleep and process/analyze everything and pray. LOTS and lots of prayer.

The theme of this week is TINA (this is not america). I keep reminding myself that things here aren't weird or wrong- they are just different.

We are just getting to know the area this week. Today, we are headed into city centre, which is like what we would refer to as downtown. My supervisor is awesome and he made us a scavenger hunt around town so we can get familiar with the area.

The other day I got to talk to a few friends and family on the phone and it made a HUGE difference. I was feeling a bit discouraged. I know this might be hard to understand. I know it seems like I'm on a grand tour of Europe- but when your end date is four months from now, and you feel like your purpose here is so much bigger than you, dealing with culture shock and homesickness seems ridiculous. Honestly, I am frustrated with myself for not adapting over night.

Other than that, everything is going well. I am uploading pics of my "crib"/flat on facebook- so check it out. Please keep us in your prayers. Still adjusting and starting to meet people and make new relationships.

Okay so here is the fun part--

Things I find unique about England:

-Public Toilets (restrooms) cost $
- Sinks have 2 faucets, one scolding hot and one freezing cold-- so your right hand is always cold and your left hand is always Hot.
- Not only do people drive on the opposite side of the road BUT they walk on the left side too... haha makes for awkward bump intos..
- Tea can mean tea or dinner... and you never know which one it is
- NOTHING air drys in my flat- so I have blow dried certain items of clothing
- It is suppose to be "warm" right now-- today's high was 52 and low is 42.
- "Bonnets and boots" (hoods and trunks on cars) on cars
- Getting asked if I know Justin Beiber on the regular.

Alright that's all for now-

God Bless :)

Jackie



No comments:

Post a Comment