Friday, August 19, 2011

I'm here!

Hey Everyone!
I've officially been in London (Kingston) for 3ish days now. Honestly I can't tell you what day it is or what time it is- and I most definitely don't know when it is time to eat.

The first two days started out a little rough- I am WAY out of my comfort zone. Everything looks the same but it's a fake out. I may speak the same language but that means very little because I understand very little. I am praying that God will help me understand a little more each day so I can learn to love these people the way He does. I feel very alone but I know each day I will become more and more secure through Him, who gives me strength.

Isaiah 43:1

It's amazing how different I feel after one day... granted one day here feels like 4 days at home. It's hard to believe that I've only been gone for 4 days because it feels like 3 weeks. I've already learned so much. I feel like I took off a pair of bad contacts and I see things clearer now. I am oh, so painfully aware of my inadequacies to serve here. I am surrounded by legit Christians who I know are going to do a great job wherever they go. I can not deny that God has called me here so I am trusting that He will equip me with whatever I need to do this job. I am already falling in love with English culture. It's odd because the first 2 days here I kept thinking- what in the world am I doing here?? I DO NOT belong- everything is so odd and weird. First, it's freezing. I'm currently wearing a long sleeve shirt, scarf and a trench when I go outside. 2. people here talk really really fast and it's hard to understand what they are saying. 3. did I mention it's freezing?!? 4. I'm tired all the time 5. Everything is different- yet the same.

I'm finally kind of getting over my jet lag. It was challenging but it's totally kicking my butt. Being wide awake at 5am and exhausted during the day is "no bueno". Fortunately, my body is readjusting- even though it is a slower process than I expected. I'm getting used to drinking tea with everything. I love tea but I'm starting to really feel like it's apart of my everyday routine.
I wake up- we make tea- at breakfast we have English breakfast tea- during my quiet time I make a cup of Lady Gray tea-- we have "tea" (dinner) at 7-8ish and end the day with a nice cup of tea (non decaffeinated). Maybe it's all the tea that is causing my jet lag issues? :) So far the food has been excellent. Granted, I'm with 12 Americans and we've been cooking for ourselves or eating out at places like Subway and Tony Romas- which feel oddly familiar. haha I think they are slowly throwing us into the culture-- before I head to Manchester where I get bangers and mash, or potato cakes with spaghetti oh's on top (yeah I don't know about that last one).

Today I met a student that I will be working with in Manchester and I feel so reassured that I am suppose to be here. She talked about her life and shared her testimony with me. I feel so convicted to get my feet dirty- do life with these students and most importantly boldly share my faith with them.

Alright- running out of time at McDonalds. Wi-Fi is a bit uncertain currently.

Please pray for everyone serving here. We are all dealing with our own battles and Satan is attacking our insecurities. We are learning lots and almost ready to head to our different locations. 2 more days of training and everyone is off to Manchester, Germany, Portugal, France and Russia.

Honest moment-
I am currently struggling with disconnecting from the US. I miss my friends and family- cell phone, internet, instant access to all things I love and my very soft and cushy bed.

Thanks for reading!
Have a blessed day!



No comments:

Post a Comment