"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
Hello Folks!
It's been a while, I know, but I'm pumped to share what's going on! I was blessed to get to go to NYC for my spring break and work with a local church plant to serve the city. While we were there, I handed out cards (similar to barabbas style stuff SD peeps), stand on the street corner and encourage people to get HIV tested, and I helped give the extension seminary a makeover. We started each day in the word and worshiped and ended each day debriefing. It was SPECTACULAR-- but I wasn't always so excited. Prior to leaving, the flu knocked me down hard and I had no desire to ride on a bus for 16 hours, to go into a dark city, full of rude people and attempt to share God's love. Too bad God had other plans! Not only did I LOVE the city-- I could actually see myself moving there to live, serve and worship! Wow- talk about a turn around. I loved meeting all the new people and getting to know the culture. It was said over and over again-- that God loves the cities because the nations have come to the cities-- and my heart loves the nations and now it loves the city!
One of the best parts about mission trips, besides the fact that you get to share God's love with people and serve, is that there are less distractions. It only took a week with no internet, tv or schoolwork (haha) - for my focus to shift tremendously towards the Lord. I don't think I was in a bad place previous to the trip- but I think I was looking for a new prescription and God moved my eyes towards Him and my sight was clear. Each summer this is what I LOVE about living in new places with limited resources. This past week was not just an amazing trip- but it was God shaking my life up.
What New York taught/reminded me:
1. My heart yearns for adventure
2. The cities are filled with people looking for something-- and most don't realize they are looking for Jesus.
3. My calling is to go- and serve.
4. Everything I planned, is out. Time to trust God and hang on!
I'm learning that our plans are not bad but they usually guide us towards a life of complacency and comfort. It is when we stop planning and trust... that God will blow our minds. When this happens, all you can do is hang on for the ride of your life. Be concrete in YOUR plans and your basically putting God in a box. I've made so many plans lately. Plans that are good, and would lead towards a life of ministry-- but I never stopped to think about how God might have bigger plans than mine. I've always been a big planner. Most people plan for 20, I plan for 300. It only gets bigger when I dream with God- but in all of my distrust, I tried to plan a life that would make everyone happy. It's not a bad plan, but I got a glimpse of what it could be in NYC and as a result EVERYTHING is changing.
I hate that it takes a week away, out of my comfort zone to make me realize all of this. I can't help but feel challenged- to find a way to merge my complicated busy stressful life with my missional adventure filled heart. The amazing part about all of this- is that I can look back over the past couple of months and see God bringing me to this point. A point I never thought would happen. A place where ALL of my plans are going out the window and I'm willingly letting them go. I've stumbled upon a taste of the life God has planned for me- and I'm ready to live it!
In 1st Samuel 3:1-10 The Lord calls Samuel multiple times. Finally, Eli his dad realizes what's going on and encourages Samuel to respond like this: "And the LORD came and stood, calling as at other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant hears."
Lord, Speak for your servant hears!
I've already started giving up my plans to see what God has in store. It's hard to give up something that doesn't seem bad at all-- but I have a feeling that I'm going to be challenged and learn how to live missional ALL the time.
Have a great week! I'll keep you updated! Alaska is 3 1/2 months away!
Peace- ☮
Jackie
http://bejeremyslegs.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment