Friday, June 5, 2009

live like you mean it

Luke 14:26 (ESV)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters,yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple."

Wow, that's a pretty intense verse. I think for the first time- that I actually get what this means. Sometimes I feel like other people just don't understand what God is calling me to do in my life. In fact, sometimes I don't get it. I know that what I am doing seems to be foolish to the world but what about other Christians? God is tugging at my heart to step it up another notch and I know it's going to involve some of what this verse is describing. You know, I think I would be ok with a life of lukewarm Christianity, where I only cared about myself and sought peace. The idea many Americans seek, to work hard, settle down and live a life of peaceful relaxation--- is VERY appealing. BUT- I think that is our problem.. I think that is where Satan has us in a choke hold... You see, that lifestyle is something I want. I don't think that there is anything necessarily bad about it... but why would God want to use someone who is content- to be just lukewarm? I am starting to see that this isn't what God wants for me. He is calling me to live a life of radical difference to SHINE for Him. Who really wants to say no to God? I sure don't but... I could definitely just ignore Him... or just tell Him I'll do it later. Sad part is, I was doing this up until recently completely unaware of it.

I have been reading in Exodus lately, and last night I read about Moses on Mount Sinai. When he came down- He shone so bright that he had to wear a veil. How flippin' cool is that?? It makes sense.. I mean if I saw God's glory like that-- I would need a veil too! I want to be like that... sooo bad. I think the time has come to start asking God to show me His Glory and hopefully- it will shine through me. Thing about all of that, is that, my current lifestyle of lukewarmness prevents me from seeing that Glory. This summer is my chance to step it up. I want to be a disciple- and that means some BIG changes.


"Make me know your way your ways O Lord, teach me your paths, Lead me in truth and teach me for You are the God of my salvation and for You, I will wait all the day long." Psalm 25:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment